[mythtv] Now/Next DVB EPG info

Taylor Jacob rtjacob at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 14 15:40:25 UTC 2005

>    I've been looking at having MythTV merge the DVB Now/Next show EPG
> information into the database.  Below is my current plan, and I thought
> I'd post here to see if it seems reasonable (this is my first bit of
> Myth hacking).

I have commented on my unwillingness to do this right now, because full EPG
isn't finished yet.  The concept of using now/next to alter the program times
is fine, but I am not to that stage yet..  I do not want to use the now/next
data with what code is in .17 because it can't really be used for scheduling
and I don't want to give people a false sense of security when they hit the i
key in frontend and see guide data..

> (Note that I see no reason why a patch like this one couldn't go in
> already.  I say "like this one" because I haven't actually tested this
> one myself yet.  There was an earlier patch posted to this list that
> did similar things.  It didn't have the Reset() lines.  Are these
> needed or have I misunderstood something here?)

The previous one I rejected because you cannot schedule from it.. The data in
0x4E and 0x4F is duplicated in the 0x50 tables, so there is no point in using
0x4E / 0x4F until later on IF its used to alter the other guide out there..

>   4) I think I also need to change things so that siscan is called
> regularly.  Not sure where this is called from yet, or what the best
> schedule is.  Two options I'm considering:
>     - Every 30 mins loop through the channels (just long enough to get
> Now/Next info)
>     - Half way through the show prior to any scheduled recording, scan
> for Now/Next info

Have you looked at any of the posts regarding EIT collection plans?  Currently
it hangs off of tv_rec and always re-captures data when you tune to a
multiplex.. I have not gotten guide inserting correct for everyone, and until
that is achieved I see no point in schedulign collection.  EIT collection
should also be driven based on how much data is present not a fixed number..

Taylor