[mythtv] Scheduler / Time to Record Start-End / Multiple Cards

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Wed Feb 16 19:24:47 UTC 2005

Mark Heydon wrote:

>Not sure I would say this is a bug, but certainly a bit odd in my opinion
>but.....
>
>I have 5 mins set on both the  'Time to record before start' and 'Time to
>record past end' settings but the scheduler doesn't seem honour these even
>if you have one TV stood idle.
>
>For example, tonight I have the following up and coming recordings....(I
>know they are both on the same channel so not that much of an issue but it
>does the same across channels)
>
>The next 10 shows that are scheduled for recording:
>Wed 2/16 7:25 PM - Encoder 1 - ITV1 - Coronation Street
>Coronation Street (7:30 PM-8:00 PM)
>
>This recording will start in 0 hours and 14 minutes using encoder 1 with
>the 'Default' profile.
> Wed 2/16 7:55 PM - Encoder 1 - ITV1 - The Bill
>The Bill (8:00 PM-9:00 PM)
>
>This recording will start in 0 hours and 44 minutes using encoder 1 with
>the 'Default' profile.
>
>You see they are both using Encoder 1 and will, in effect, stop recording
>Coronation Street dead on 8 p.m. and start The Bill then when really, as
>Encoder 2 is sat there doing nothing all night!  Wouldn't it be better to
>honour the 5 mins start/end settings and start recording The Bill at 7:55
>using Encoder 2?

This was discussed at length a month or so ago on the -users list.  The
scheduler does not consider the global before/after minutes to be
"critical" when considering scheduling so it will not bump programs to
another encoder in order to capture those minutes.  It does, however,
consider recording specific before/after minutes to be criticial and
will bump in order to capture those but this could also result in
showing being bumped or not recorded for no other reason than the
before/after minutes set on the recording.

The solution, as discussed, would be a modification to the scheduler to
consider global before/after minutes for scheduling purposes when
multiple tuners are present.  To date, no one has submitted a patch
implementing this behavior.

Kevin