[mythtv] Documentation

Nav Jagpal nav.jagpal at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 22:50:08 UTC 2005

MythTV has been getting more and more popular. Now when I mention the
software to someone, they actually know what I'm talking about pretty
much right away.

That is why I think a step-by-step document for installing, and
perhaps even using, MythTV would be a good to get a larger user
community.

I know that a lot of us out there have our favourite distros, hardware
encoders etc.. And the combinations of different types of hardware is
massive - but what about a document for those non-Linux type people?

Document that outlines: hardware (video card, encoder card, sound
card, distro) setup. ?

For example, I use Debian, and to avoid the whole TV-out hassle, I
just used the onboard video card and a VGA->PC converter from KWorld
(<$100 CDN).

When I went to create my Mythtv box, I had to rumble around the Net
looking for various sources.. I wish I could have found a document
that said "Hey.. if you get this sound card, video card, etc.. , which
will cost you $$ dollars, you can build this box.. And if you have a
sound card and video card that *just works*, you'll be set too".

Comments/suggestions?