[mythtv] MythSOAP Expressions Of Interest

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Mon Feb 21 00:30:48 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 05:52:08PM -0600, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> bill peck wrote:
>
> >While I do think SOAP would be handy I would settle for program guide
> >data being available over the current Myth Protocol instead of having
> >to do SQL calls.
> >

> This type of increased independence of the frontend was something I had
> mentioned to Isaac as a point of interest to me.  Not specifically for
> SOAP, but having more functions in the protocol would lend itself to
> improving such an effort just as it could have a positive effect on the
> MediaMVP work, etc.  He wasn't against it but noted that currently only
> the functions required to be done on the backend are done there.  Not

Is this because it's difficult to get SQL libraries for the mediamvp?

I mean SQL is very widely supported on a lot of platforms, is nicely
multi-user and stable and tuned for efficiency.

It seems risky to me to have to support two different ways to do the same
thing.  If it's something only the backend can calculate, such as the
output of the scheduler, that makes sense -- is that what you have in mind?

Just trying to understand why "Invent a new protocol" is better at
maintaining the independence of the frontend compared to "having to do
sql calls."