[mythtv] Adding default User Job setting per recording profile

Bryan Mayland bmayland at leoninedev.com
Tue Feb 22 22:08:03 UTC 2005

Sorry so slow in getting back to this, I was playing WoW over the weekend :)

Chris Pinkham wrote:

>Yeah, I didn't think the User Jobs would take off as much as they have so I
>didn't make them as easy to use as the transcoder and commflagging jobs.

    User Jobs are awesome!  There's a million uses for them, from
maintenance to notification.  I create a browsable file view of the
recordings, a friend of mine has a user job that scp's recordings to his
machine at work, someone else logs the completion via email.  It's
freakin' great.

>This isn't necessarily true, there are "Global" settings and "Host" settings
>in the backend setup program.

    Ah I didn't notice that the two pages in setup were one host, one
global.

>Since the Auto Commercial Flag default setting is accessible via the
>frontend, I think it makes sense to have the User Job defaults settings
>be accessible from the frontends also.

    Where is the "Auto Commercial Flag" default setting in the
frontend?  I agree that would be an excellent place to put them too.
(Yeah I've used MythTV for 2 years now, I still don't know where all the
settings are).

>This I'm not sure about.  What would be the reasons for making a User Job
>run by default for one recording profile but not for another?  Are you
>thinking nuvexport or something?

    Well in my scenario, I'm only symlinking stuff that is from the
default and low quality profile.  My Live TV and High Quality profiles
are too high bitrate to go over my wireless link so I don't confuse
myself by running my symlink job on recordings made using them.  I can
see the possibility that someone running an nuvexport might want
something similar, but I'm satisfied with just defaulting jobs
globally.  If I added it in all places it would start to get confusing
how the the backend decides what to do by default, probably ending up
like this:
if (job globally defaults to on) and (recording profile job defaults to on)
    default to on
else
    default to off

So say put it one place but not the other.  Globally might make more sense.

>On that note, I originally had a commented-out setting to allow turning
>on/off transcoding jobs on a per-scheduled recoring basis, but took that
>code back out.  This would allow the user to run transcoding for some
>shows but not for others that used the same recording profile.  Does
>anyone see any value in this flexibility?

    I wouldn't see any benefit to this.  It might be a better solution
to allow creation / removal of new recording profiles.  You'd then
create a new profile like "HD (archival)" that had the transcode option
flipped on, which is easier than going through multiple steps in the
scheduled recording setup screens.  I'm more an advocate of selecting a
recording profile that has all my options preset in it though, rather
than tweaking each recording schedule's items.  It also makes it easier
for me to send an email from my cell phone telling my backend to record
something, but that's a myth-users post.