[mythtv] What can packagers/distro developers do to help the stability of "released" version of MythTV?

Klaus Weidner kw at w-m-p.com
Wed Feb 23 22:21:17 UTC 2005

Hello,

would you consider using a "mostlystable" CVS tag in the repository, and
have that updated occasionally to point to a CVS version that doesn't
have known critical problems? I think this would be much less work than
doing a real release with all the packaging and documenting that implies.
Other projects do that with apparently fairly good results.

The documentation could mention how to get that (add "-r mostlystable" to
the cvs command line), and recommend it to people who want to use the new
code but don't want to be quite on the extreme bleeding edge.

This would help avoid problems like today's change that was known to
break modules - people who track "mostlystable" wouldn't get that code
until the change is finished.  If the developers consider a new feature
to be ready for further testing, just update the tag to point to that
release.

-Klaus