[mythtv] [experimental patch] pchdtv bttv support

Steve Davies steve at one47.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 05:28:20 EST 2005

Brad Templeton wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:37:31PM -0800, Mark Goodman wrote:
>

>>If I understand correctly, it is different from a normal card with two
>>different channel lineups attached to two different inputs in that one
>>input gives an MPEG transport stream and the other gives something else.
>>

>Plus, if you want to be a perfectionist, it's also able to record
>several different subchannels on the same master-channel.  With QAM
>that's as many as 16 SD channels, I think.  Right now the most I encounter
>is my local PBS which runs 4 SD channels during the day on one master
>channel.
>
>But frankly this is a pretty obscure desire and strikes me as a nightmare
>to come up with a good model for, to say that a tuner can really be
>N tuners, but only if the channels are all related is not something
>to easily abstract!

As far as I can tell, the only REAL issue here is that the column that
describes the type of data received is defined at the CARD level, and in
the case being described above I understand that the data-type is
different at the INPUT level (after all, the daughter board is actually
another input on the same card.)

Or have I missed something? :)

Would it be preferable to have a column on the input table of
"cardinput.inputtype" which could override "capturecard.cardtype"where
necessary? This would allow the bttv daughterboard to be treated as an
extra input on the existing card, which more closely reflects real-life,
and would keep the scheduler happy with no changes.

A more elegant solution might be to completely relocate the input-type
column completely - This involves a much larger overhaul of course.

Again, I hope I haven't missed something obvious...

Regards,
Steve