[mythtv] Semi-OT: Which HDTV card to buy for Myth?

Taylor Jacob rtjacob at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 30 02:13:35 EST 2005

Quoting Nate Carlson <natecars at natecarlson.com>:

> 1) As I understand it, with the air2pc card, it may be possible in the
> future to record more than one subchannel (of a single channel)
> simultaneously. Is this also the case with the pcHDTV cards?

This is planned for the air2pc card, and presumably the pcHDTV.. I am not sure
which will happen first.. The pcHDTV code being merged into the dvb code, or
the dvb code supporting multiples programs from 1 mux.  Either way in the end
the answer is yes for both cards.

> 2) Which card has a better chance of being able to capture unencrypted
> hdtv over cable streams (QAM?) in the future?

Air2PC - 100% chance.  I have just gotten this working tonight.  I will be
putting my post on linux-dvb for the driver changes tonight.  I have done some
preliminary work on support in Myth (quite small changes mind you) tonight and
am watching my local pbs station now in HD while I am typing this email.

http://www.digitalregime.com/patches/

pcHDTV - Good chance.  I would take Daniels answer on this..

Taylor