[mythtv] Commercial Flagging Idea

-> Fritz fritzed at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 04:12:04 EDT 2005

> I have recently done a complete restructure of the commercial flagging
> code. You can now easily add a new commercial dection method "plugin".
> (look at CommDetectorBase). Currently we have one method, which is
> Classic, which Chris wrote almost everything of. I made this change to
> more easily do work on the commercial detection, but as of today none of
> my work is far enough to start testing it. Good scene change detection
> is holding me, (and the current implementations accuracy for that
> matter) back.

Forgive me if this has been suggested before, but what about detecting
subtitles?  Almost every show has subtitles but they are missing from
most commercials.  Mixed with scene change detection it seems that
checking for subtitles could be a very reliable way of telling what
was worth watching.  Assuming of course that your box records
subtitles correctly.

-> Fritz