[mythtv] Commercial Flagging Idea

Lucas Meijer lucas at mach8.nl
Wed Jul 6 09:19:14 EDT 2005

Ant Daniel wrote:

> Commercials having subtitles shouldn't be a problem.
>
> You can do a text search (or hash the text) and determine that it's a
> commercial (once a commercial has been previously identified) would
> require people to identify commercials and the system 'learn' or to
> download previously identified commercial text.

heh. shouldn't be a problem. I guess you're assuming infinite devtime
available here. making a learning system, wether people share their
"learnings" online or not has been discussed before, and just is a lot
of work.

If it regularly happens that commercials have subtitles, or even worse
that shows don't have them, while commercials do, this is a problem. Not
necisseraly the end of the world.. The info can be taken into account in
the big "look at everything and make the best guess" function, but
subtitles being "flipped" would have a negative impact on accuracy for sure.

Bye, Lucas