[mythtv] Commercial Flagging Idea

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Thu Jul 7 13:14:43 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 15:19 +0200, Lucas Meijer wrote:
> Ant Daniel wrote:
>
> > Commercials having subtitles shouldn't be a problem.
> >
> > You can do a text search (or hash the text) and determine that it's a
> > commercial (once a commercial has been previously identified) would
> > require people to identify commercials and the system 'learn' or to
> > download previously identified commercial text.
>
> heh. shouldn't be a problem. I guess you're assuming infinite devtime
> available here. making a learning system, wether people share their
> "learnings" online or not has been discussed before, and just is a lot
> of work.
>
> If it regularly happens that commercials have subtitles, or even worse
> that shows don't have them, while commercials do, this is a problem. Not
> necisseraly the end of the world.. The info can be taken into account in
> the big "look at everything and make the best guess" function, but
> subtitles being "flipped" would have a negative impact on accuracy for sure.

How is this bad at all? You can easily tell the difference between the
show and commercials. The commercials usually only account for 1/3 of
the time. The show, 2/3's or thereabouts.

Assuming an exact flip anyways.

But either way it seems putting some time restrictions in could really
help things. How often does a 30min show have a 12min commercial?

--
Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>