[mythtv] re what tv card to buy in australia to use with knoppmyth

Scott Carroll lists at scottc.net
Thu Jul 14 07:15:28 EDT 2005

* This is based on using Freeview in the UK *

I bought a VisionPlus card last month because it was a few pounds
cheaper than the Nova-T cards.  I already have one Nova-T installed
and working flawlessly.

The VisionPlus is a nuisance.  The drivers don't seem to report BER,
UNC or even status accurately (using tzap to test), and when my
system is under load, even with Myth running at a high priority, as
root, I get mythbackend errors like:

DVB#1 PID 221 _continuity_count 13 cc 14

and a totally unwatchable stream.  The Nova-T recording at the same
time is fine.

Also, the VisionPlus can only capture the strongest of the 6 muxes in
the UK.  The Nova-T can get them all.  My Freeview set-top box
registers signal strength at 55-70% on all muxes.

This stuff may be fixed by better drivers, but I'm not aware of
anyone working on them.

On the other hand, the VisionPlus does come with a nice remote
control + receiver that behaves like a USB keyboard and just
registers keystrokes when you use the remote - no messing around with
LIRC.

Scott