[mythtv] Controlling an r5000hd recorder from MythTV

Michael Chmilar chmilar at acm.org
Fri Jul 15 12:22:07 EDT 2005

> If they will tell us what to say to their device and what to
> expect from it, it should be easy to get rolling with libusb.

I agree that hosting the r5000hd on a linux mythbackend is
preferable to hosting it on an external XP box.

If the details of the communication protocol and remuxing
algorithm are available, I am willing to look at writing a
linux driver for the r5000hd. However, I am not interested
in reverse engineering anything.

> I also don't think you'll see much interest from the user or
> developer communities in a setup  that requires an extra computer.

But there is interest from me! :-) I am doing it for myself. I
will make my scripts and setup available to anyone else who wants
to use them. If no one else cares, so be it.

Writing a driver is a lot more work than writing a couple of
Perl scripts and figuring out how to get MythTV to execute them.

Mike