[mythtv] DVB issue: unable to tune off air channels, can't skip to next channel

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 17:20:48 EDT 2005

Hi,

I posted it earlier in the users list but I think devlist may be the
right place.

Setup: HD3000 card with DVB drivers, 2.6.12.1 kernel and mythtv 0.18.
Recording OTA channels.

When I try to tune channels which are off air (such as 9_3 to 9_5
after 8pm), I can't get past the current channel (which is 9_2). I did
some debugging and seems like myth protocol returns "ok" respone for
the CHANNEL_CHANGE:0 query, even though DVB has failed to tune to the
channel. So, I'm stuck at 9_2. Up arrow key doesn't change the
channel. The only way to get out is enter the channel number manually.

Also, for some channels for which there is no dvb tuning parameters
(dont know why it happens), it exhibits same behavior. The DVB fails
to tune, but the myth backend returned "ok" to the frontend. When I
query the current channel, the backend still returns the last channel
it tuned.

So, I guess the only way to detect a stuck channel is keep the
previous channel and query the current channel after the up arrow key
(CHANGE_CHANNEL:0). If the channel has not changed, then we need to
some how skip to the next channel in the channel list. We need to keep
repeating this process till we get a new channel returned from the
backend.

Thanks
Mudit