[mythtv] mythgame : features...

Kieron Wilkinson lists at softpres.org
Mon Jul 18 02:51:34 EDT 2005

Greg Estabrooks wrote:
>>I am pretty sure it is simply a standard CRC32, aka the one provided by
>>ZIP. I'm not as sure for the GoodTools... Maybe they do something different?
>
>  The CRC I'm generating matches what is returned via zip, and what I'm
> generating matches what is in the GoodTools dat files and all data files
> I've tried so far except for the tosec database. I haven't given up on

Bizarre, okay.

> the tosec data yet, I'm still poking around and going to check out the forums
> and email the maintainer about it, but so far it's not "leading the pack" :)

:)

>  I'm also looking at starting my own RomDB. gathering info from goodtools
> dat files and whatever else I can get my hands on, and pulling items
> like releasedate, country, software maker and other info right from the
> raw roms. This list could be web accessible for searches, and could be
> downloaded as a "Drop in" set of info for mythgame to use. It's a
> fairly big job but is so far looking like it would provide the best results.

Sounds like a lovely idea. Shame you need to go to the effort though.

>  Plus I would make the scripts to pull the data available so that users
> could run them on their collections and just send me the output which I could
> match up and add to the database which is much more likely than a user manually
> doing it.

Ouch. Think of the maintenance. Especially on disk images like ADF's
where badly configured emulators generate more alternates because of
high scores, save games, virus', etc.

>>The advantage to using the standard ZIP one is of course that there is
>
>  But you can't just assume roms are going to be zipped. What I have now
> (mostly ripped from the old neshandler.cpp) returns the CRC of the rom,
> or if the file is zipped of the rom inside of the zip file.

True. Good. :)

>  And in the case of a NES rom it skips the 16 byte iNES header and
> generates the crc based on the rest of the data. This seems to match up with
> all of the rom handling utilities I've looked at.

I hate that emulator for exactly this reason. I understand that we are
stuck with this now though.

If you are interested, I'll supply you with an IPF dataset too. Its
currently XML, and I need to do some processing to add the usual
metadata (year, etc) but I should be able to convert to whatever form is
most convenient.

--
Kieron Wilkinson