[mythtv] Request: please fix channel up/down and watch live TV defaults forDVB:HD tuners

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Thu Jun 2 13:28:02 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 11:44 pm, Mudit Wahal wrote:
> The fix is to ask user at the mythtv-setup time for correct channel
> number if he is configured DVB+HD3000 card.

The start channel is set in the input mapping screen in mythtv-setup.  Has
been ever since the setup program existed.

> The problem is that mythtv assumes the channel.channum is ALWAYS
> integer. It add/subtracts 0, 1, etc in the sql queries to get to the
> next/previous channel numbers. But its storing the channum as
> varchar(5). This mixture of integer and char doesn't fit well for the
> HD lineup. So, it'll always somehow skip _1 channels and jump to _2
> channels.

Err, no, it doesn't.  The code to find the next channel (tv_rec.cpp,
DoGetNextChannel()), simply uses > and < in a SQL query to get the next one.
If you have non-numeric channel numbers, you need to set your 'Channel
ordering' (first item in the General TV settings) to 'channel number
(alpha)'.

> If I modify the channum from 2_1 to 21, 2_2 to 22, 5_1 to 52 and so
> on, then I can click thru every single channel in my line up ! But it
> breaks the mythfilldatabase as its looking for channel numbers 2_1,
> 2_2 and not for 21, 22.

mythfilldatabase doesn't do anything with the channum field, except fill it in
when creating a channel.  You're quite free to change it to whatever you
want, and in the case of HD channels, I'd assume most people would want to
due to the lack of a _ key on most remotes.

Isaac