[mythtv] multicast mpeg2 as an input (iptv discussion cont.)

Keith Irwin kirwin at ncsu.edu
Wed Jun 15 20:40:32 UTC 2005

On Wednesday, June 15, 2005, at 04:14 PM, Unit3 wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 15:36 -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
>> Wouldn't be accepted into Myth if it depended on vlc.  No reason that
>> couldn't
>> be done internally.
>
> Just as an aside question, is there a reason why it's ok to have an
> external dependancy on mplayer, but not on VLC? I'm not being
> judgemental or trying to question design decisions, I'm just curious as
> to what the policies are for how MythTV is developed.

I actually wrote that last answer as a preemptive answer to the
question that I thought was coming.  But having said that, I realized
that the legality of mplayer, xine, ffmpeg, transcode, and a whole
bunch of other stuff is pretty questionable in the US since they
violate the software patents which we have in the US.  And more
importantly, MythDVD relies on DeCSS, so that's probably not the
answer.  So I withdraw my answer.  I was guessing, and I likely guessed
wrong.

Keith