[mythtv] Re: New idea for storing recordings to disks

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Thu Jun 30 02:48:59 UTC 2005

Robert Tsai <rtsai1111 at comcast.net> writes:

> Is your point that Myth should just not bother recording at all if it
> thinks it might run out of space?
>
> Otherwise, if we discuss something along the lines of "Myth should
> record as scheduled, and simply gracefully abort recording if it runs
> out of space mid-recording", then read on. (Whether this means
> deleting the aborting recording, or just saving a partial recording is
> a detail outside the scope of my discussion.)

That's What myth does now, if I'm reading the code correctly. If the space
available falls below MinRecordDiskThreshold, recording stops. I don't
think it delete it, you just get a partial recording.

There's no reason to change this behaviour in a multi-disk situation,
just pick the disk with the most free/expireable space, and hope for
the best. Primitive load ballancing. You can also add priorities if
you want to favour local vs remote storage, or whatever.