[mythtv] [patch] automagic settings.pro (version 7)

Jeremiah Morris jm at whpress.com
Wed Mar 2 01:41:24 UTC 2005

On Mar 1, 2005, at 5:10 PM, Daniel Thor Kristjansson wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Jeremiah Morris wrote:
> ]On Mar 1, 2005, at 3:28 PM, Daniel Thor Kristjansson wrote:
> ]> I'm not setting any extra USING_ defines for now. I think
> ]My vote is to include them in config.h instead of the command line.
> Anything
> ]that needs one of the USING_ defines should include config.h and get
> it from
> ]there.
>
> The problem with putting things in config.h is that it forces a
> recompile of all the files including config.h. Plus, doing this
> would greatly increase the size of the patch and make it more
> likely to have bugs.

Well, you asked for comment... ;) I was thinking long-term, I
definitely don't recommend doing this for the initial patch. As for
forcing a recompile, I think that's the point. I nearly always do a
"make clean" to work around the fact that qmake won't recompile when I
make settings.pro changes; too few recompiles is even worse than too
many, IMO.

> ]One other thing: is there a reason why you build CCONFIG and
> ]CONFIG_DEFINES immediately, instead of waiting for the creation of
> ]config.mak and config.h? That would save on duplicate tests -- the
> ]script is large enough without having two test blocks for each
> feature.
>
> It could be built later. But this would make the script longer not
> shorter, the secondary test of these consists of 8 lines:

I think you misunderstood what I was suggesting -- take a look at the
attached diff against config-v7. As long as the CCONFIG and
CONFIG_DEFINES come at the end, those variables can be built up bit by
bit while writing config.mak.

- Jer