[mythtv] Myth DVB Diseqc

julian furnell mythtv at furnell.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 18:47:33 UTC 2005

I am located in the UK using two LNBs with a 4 to 1 switch off a Nova
DVB-S budget card. Using Myth 0.17 and cvs from a week ago I have been
unable to get any signal from my second sat LNB into myth - setup scan
and live tv only feed from first sat LNB. VDR happily receives from both
sat so equipment is OK. The cause seems to be the following lines from
line 243 in dvbdiseqc.cpp

   if (ioctl(fd_frontend, FE_DISEQC_SEND_BURST, SEC_MINI_A ) == -1)
   {
       ERRNO("FE_DISEQC_SEND_BURST failed");
       return false;
   }

The sending of this command follows the sending of the correct Diseqc
command and causes my switch to revert to the A input. According to
diseqc specs equipment  should ignore backwards compatible bursts after
valid diseqc command but mine certainly doesn't and it is a common type
in the UK  claiming Diseqc and mini-diseqc comptability. With this
commented out Live Tv now works and I can see channels from both sats.
Unfortunately it does not cause the setup scan to work - this appears to
be a further problem where dvbdiseqc.cpp is being called from the
scanning program with the diseqc type set to 0 - forgive me but my c++
isn't quite up to following where in the scanning software this is not
being properly setup. With dvbdiseqc.cpp hard coded to type 4 scan seems
work ok. I hope this helps those I have seen on lists saying diseqc is
not working for them. I also noted another  bug in DVBDiSEqC::ToneSwitch
which seems to be expecting tuning.diseqc_port to be set to 1 or 2
rather than the 0 or 1 it is currently being set to. The attached patch
corrects both of these issues for me.