[mythtv] Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Wed Mar 9 06:22:10 UTC 2005

This proposed alternate behaviour requires minor changes to a number of
different segments, so I thought I would propose it here before attempting
any coding on it.

As you may not know, autoexpire is not just a boolean, it is a number.
Programs with a higher autoexpire number expire before anything with a
lower number.  Programs with 0 never autoexpire.   AFAIK, tvwish is
the only program making use of this, to allow imported suggestions to
effectively only take spare space (a value of 2 is sufficient as the default
is 1.)

Anyway, the proposed change is as follows:

If autoexpire is enabled:

    Have Delete, instead of deleting the program, simply add 1000 or similar
    large number to autoexpire.

    Modify the query for current recordings to not present any entry with
    autoexpire >= 1000.  Clients including mythweb will not see them.
    Alternately train clients to ignore them or show them optionally.
    (harder)

    Modify the "deleted programs" to show them, but to put a special
    highlight on these entries, and possibly display them at the end of
    the list.   Also, it should now show 3 disk space totals -- space used
    by visible programs, space "Ready for deletion" and actual free disk
    space from DF.    Total "free" (actual plus ready for deletion) might
    be shown.   Mythweb would need to be modified to show this.
    (This might, unfortunately need a protocol modification to show all
    the different numbers)

    In deleted programs, Delete on an "already deleted" show really deletes
    it, no undo possible.

    In deleted programs, undelete is offered for already deleted programs.

    Above two items also available in mythweb.

Alternate suggestion (with more UI)
    Put both "Delete" and "Recycle" on the delete menu, with Recycle grayed
    out if autoexpire is not enabled.   Frankly I think this is needless
    complication, and besides, it means a frontend change while changing
    the meaning of delete is just a backend change.

Result: Delete can be undone, at least until the space is actually
needed.

Thoughts?