[mythtv] Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Brad Templeton brad+mydev at templetons.com
Wed Mar 9 23:35:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 02:39:25PM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 March 2005 02:28 pm, Brad Templeton wrote:
> > Now as I have noted, the "expire is not optional, so delete what you know
> > you don't need to protect what you do" is one style of organizing your
> > disk space.   Some would rather the system not record a new show they
> > asked for to protect old shows.   Some just never delete as you suggest
> > and let auto-expire get rid of the shows.  Ideally we want to accomodate
> > all.
>
> I think the various existing options work for most purposes (oldest first,
> show limit, do/don't record new if there's a show limit, disabled for a
> recording id, etc).  Using the original recording priority would be a decent
> extension, as would based on if it were watched or not.
>
> I still don't see the point for an undelete function if autoexpire's
> explicitly turned on.

Hmm, not sure how to explain it better.  My impression is if you were
to survey you would find that lots of people turn on autoexpire (because
they believe it is better to lose an old program than not record a new
one) but also use lots of manual delete.

If you use lots of manual delete, then eventually you will wish for
undelete, that's just the way of it.

So if you are trying to decide if you would accept patches for such a
feature, you would need to find out if there is a significant group of
people who routinely delete.

(Note as well that this feature could work with autoexpire partially
turned on, ie. only for use in purging out items that were "recycled"
to use microsoft parlance, but not for ordinary items.  You could just
think of that as a delayed delete, thus allowing undo.  Since many people
have autoexpire on, I felt it made sense to do it slightly differently)