[mythtv] Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Thu Mar 10 16:25:03 UTC 2005

Isaac Richards <ijr at case.edu> writes:

> Why do you manually delete things, if autoexpire is turned on?

1) To reduce clutter.

2) Because the current autoexpire process will delete older unwatched
   shows before newer watched shows.

I agree that 2) can be fixed by improving the autoexpire, but even if
that is done, I think 1) is a valid point.

> Doesn't make sense at all to me.  If I manually delete something (which rarely
> happens), I want it gone.  You can't accidently delete a program due to the
> extra 'are you sure' popup, unless you don't bother reading the screen.

I think accidental deletions can occur:  finger memory;  children;
slow remote (my remote sends button presses slowly, but queues them
up, so you can easily overshoot a menu item).

But even ignoring this, I think the real reason that undelete would be
nice is for those situations when you are telling someone in your
house about a show you watched and then they want to see it.

My mail client (Gnus) has this kind of delayed deletion, and it is
wonderful.  I "delete" messages that I'm pretty sure I won't need, and
Gnus hides them from me by default.  Once or twice a week I realize I
need to look up something, and two keystrokes pull in all of the
"expirable" messages.  I used to spend a lot more time organizing my
e-mail, saving messages in various folders, etc, but delayed deletion
gets rid of these decisions.

Dan