[mythtv] Re: Watching the Watchers Re: Proposed alternate behaviour for show delete

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Thu Mar 10 18:36:07 UTC 2005

Geoffrey Kruse <gkruse at gmail.com> writes:

>> While I like this concept I find the UI possibly too complex for most.
>>

> I have to disagree.  I don't think this would make the interface too
> complex, and the added usability would more than make up for any
> complexity added.  Marking the number of times a recording has been
> watched would be helpful, but I can still see my significant other
> getting mad at me because I deleted something she hadn't watched when
> I thought she had.  The whole concept of users prevents this problem.
>
>> In the future, nice features would be to let different users 'register'
>> for different shows.  That is, Jeremy might not be interested in a show
>> that everyone else is, so he doesn't get listed on that show as an
>> option
>> for 'Seen It'.
>
> It would also be nice to have different view recording pages that only
> showed the recordings the current user has registered for.  This would
> save sifting through recordings that someone else in your house
> recorded to find what you are looking for.  Then, when each user
> deletes the recording it disappears from their view recordings page
> but still shows up on other users' pages until they delete it.  Once
> everyone who has registered for the show marks it for deletion, it
> will be deleted.

Good idea, but why tie this to a concept of users. Simply allow a show
to belong to multiple recording groups! It's deleted (or marked for
un-deletion) when it is removed from all recording groups.

For user co-ordination, you can set up groups like 'Bob's shows',
'Carol's shows', ... and the delete button can allow deletes from
multiple groups at the same time, in case you're watching it together.

That way, this same mechanism can be used for other purposes. For
example, after I watch 'Good Eats', I want to move it to an archive
group. Right now, I have to remember not to delete it by habit, then
go into the move to recording group. If groups were non-exclusive, I
could have it placed in both the default and archive groups when it is
recorded, and not have to do these extra, error prone steps. BTW, this
is the only situation where I've ever accidentally deleted a program.
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill at AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571