[mythtv] [patch] firewire broadcast connection

Matt Johnson matt at brushfiretech.com
Wed Mar 16 02:54:43 UTC 2005

Oops, I mean SA3250HD.   *grin*

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-dev-bounces at mythtv.org [mailto:mythtv-dev-bounces at mythtv.org]
On Behalf Of Matt Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:52 PM
To: 'Development of mythtv'
Subject: RE: [mythtv] [patch] firewire broadcast connection

I have an SA3200HD, and I have the same problem.  However, the broadcast
connection type doesn't work at all.

What I have found that fixes it is if I reset the firewire bus using a tool
like gscanbus or 1394commander.

Since 1394commander runs from the command line, I thought perhaps I could
script a bus reset and put it somewhere in my startup sequence.  It doesn't
seem to work though.  Can't figure out why, but for some reason it only
works if I run it manually.

I went as far as to dig into the firewirerecorer.cpp code and reset the bus
before starting recording.  This is done with either the raw1394_reset_bus()
or raw1394_reset_bus_new() methods.  Found those from digging into the
gscanbus and 1394commander sources.  Both seem to work when I run them
elsewhere, but I can't get them to work inside this code, regardless of
where I put it, or if I use the existing fwhandle or create a new one.  I'm
guessing whatever the reason is - it's probably the same reason that
scripting 1394commander didn't work in the first place.

I'd love it if someone has some insight into this.  I'll give any
suggestions a try and report back.  It's a pain in the ass right now - I've
forgotten to reset the bus several times and wound up with "recorded" shows
that are 0 bytes but still get listed in the recordings section at get an
empty .nuv file.  You'd think even if firewire failed that myth would be
better about recognizing it.

One other complaint (although not as important) - if I try to tune any
scrambled content, mythbackend freezes and doesn't recover.  I have to
restart manually, and reset the bus again.  It should fail more gracefully.

Thanks,
Matt