[mythtv] Re: Whats wrong with myth

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Mar 20 04:31:25 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 10:50:28AM +0800, jam at tigger.ws wrote:
> We researched for weeks, before choosing the DVICO fusion card, because
> it was the best fit I could find in Australia, and it had hardware
> compression.

Just to clarify: HDTV cards *do not compress*.

HDTV is shipped around as high-bandwitdh (<=19.2Mbps) MPEG2 PS streams;
it's *already* compressed, and the card doesn't *uncompress* it, either.

*Broadcast* HDTV, that is; if you're sucking it in from a production
suite, it's a different story.

Cheers,
-- jra

      If you can read this... thank a system adminstrator.  Or two.  --me