[mythtv] should mythtv be forked?

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Mon Mar 21 18:14:46 UTC 2005

On Monday 21 March 2005 12:42 pm, andrew burke wrote:
> > The one burning question I have is simple: WHERE IS THE BUG TRACKER?
>
> These kinds of issues shouldn't exist with a project that has such
> potential to really turn a lot of people on to linux in a growing area.

The reason bugzilla's not linked on the main page is that it's been fairly
useless, in my opinion.  I get better results handling bugs posted to the
lists - better feedback from other people, it's more likely that the reporter
will actually _respond_ if more information is requested, etc.

The main reason I started the bug tracker in the first place is because a lot
of people _insisted_ that they would help with development more if there was
a list of bugs for them to fix.  To date, I don't believe a single (external
to 'main develoeprs') bug fix has come from it.

> For the third time, I will offer to help convert mythtv over to subversion
> w/ trac for bug/issue tracking.  I will also help develop a strategy that
> would result in more end-user-friendly branches, etc.
>
> If, on the other hand, the devs on this list are absolutely not interested
> in the user experience with myth, there is the possibility of forking off
> a different tree that's less dev-centric and more user-centric.

Right, because what type of repository the source is stored in is absolutely
integral to the end user experience.  That's laughable, really.  I'm happy
with CVS.  As far as I know, the rest of the developers are, too.  I don't
really see a need to switch to anything.

>      - Renewed focus on core elements of myth: television

That's fairly insulting.  I haven't done work on anything _but_ tv in the
longest time, when I've wanted to.  Same with most of the other developers.
None of the plugins have received much, if any, attention, with the exception
of mythweb.

> 2) Better project management.
>      - Better branch management
>      - Better bug/issue tracking
>      - Better documentation

Good luck.  I've been trying to get people to help out with that since I
started this project.  Haven't had a single offer that was actually followed
up on.

> It may also end up just being a fork where critical patches are integrated
> and point releases are created so that people aren't left in the cold when
> they don't understand CVS, etc.

How would that be a fork?  If someone that's proved themselves capable to me
wanted to do this with the main CVS tree, I'd be happy to let them to it.
David even offered to maintain the branch in CVS, but not to do the releases.

> I don't throw this idea out there lightly.  But a continued apathy on the
> part of the current mythtv apparatus towards the user makes me feel as
> though this project really isn't living up to its huge potential.  I think
> all of the devs are very talented and capable people, but mythtv simply
> cannot continue to be a 'homebrew project' where the users are viewed as
> second class citizens, told to use CVS, told to apply patches, etc.
> MythTV could be a real option for people looking to do home media PCs, its
> potential is huge.  It's time to realize that potential and make the
> changes that have to be made to realize it.

You're quite funny, really. =)

Isaac