[mythtv] proposal: live-tv commercial muting

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 03:34:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:29:38 -0500 (EST), Daniel Thor Kristjansson
<danielk at mrl.nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Damion de Soto wrote:
> ]Just wondering if this would be a valid proposition:
> ]Use the commercial-detection code to run on live tv to mute the
> ]commericals.
> ]Does anyone know the minimum system specs required to run the
> ]commercial-detection code in real-time (or faster-than RT)?
>
> The "all method" commercial-detection code is just about RT on a P4-1.8
> when the frames are 720x480, but blank-frame only could probably be run
> on LiveTV. It's not very accurate, but if the UI were well thought out
> it might work. The main problem is that the user somehow needs to
> indicate whether they are in or out of a commercial since the blank
> frames only indicate transitions, not whether you are currently in a
> commercial or not. And obviously this should be disabled unless the user
> takes some proactive step, since we don't want to mute someone program
> while blaring the commercials ;)
>
> -- Daniel

I can't find the email right now, but I believe I saw recently that
one of the devs was working on some changes to allow commercial
detection to run simultaneously with recording rather than running
after the show has been recorded.  His main goal for this was to allow
watching of shows with commercials marked as soon as they are done
recording, but I'd imagine this would go a long way towards your goal
of muting commercials.  You might want to wait until those code
changes get committed or at least coordinate with whoever it is that
is coding that feature.

Brad