[mythtv] DVB, HD-2000, and CRCs

Taylor Jacob rtjacob at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 22 13:25:56 UTC 2005

Quoting Doug Larrick <doug at ties.org>:

> I'm definitely seeing some messages from this patch; no CRC errors
> slipped through on EIT/ETT tables yet, but it's not like I can produce
> one on demand :-)  I'll leave it running today and get back to you this
> evening.

OK.. It makes sense more now as to why with weak signal I could get so many bad
tables slipping through..  If it works out for you by this evening I will
commit it to cvs.. Since the dvb drivers crc routine is from the kernel I find
it hard to believe there could be an issue with it..

> Even if there's some other problem with the drivers' CRC checking or
> with how we're requesting it, it seems to me that this check is a good
> idea.  I suppose it would be reasonable to blast that bit to 1 and see
> if the CRC then passes (in the unlikely event it was the only damaged
> bit), but that's probably too much trouble.

It seems more reasonable to just drop the table to me.. Having CRC code in
multiple places seems like a bad idea.. With the frequency of any section table
its not worth worrying about loosing one here or there..  I figure if you are
droping so many mal-formed tables that its actually a problem you won't be
getting a reliable mpeg stream anyway and should fix your antenna setup..

Taylor