[mythtv] 'stable' tag proposal

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Mar 22 17:35:29 UTC 2005

andrew burke wrote:

>>>What Andrew is proposing would work just fine on CVS as well as
>>>subversion.
>>>

>>Of course is will (that's my whole point), but he's not offered to
>>actually _do_ anything before.
>>

>I am not familiar enough with CVS to help you implement my suggestions
>using it.  I _am_ familiar enough with subversion (and perforce, if you
>perhaps want to spend a few hundred dollars a head :) ) to do this stuff.
>
>Perhaps as a first pass, I could set up a subversion repository and a trac
>installation to give you a preview of how it would look.  Would it be
>possible for me to get a tarball of the cvs repository for import into
>subversion?

It seems that Isaac has already agreed that he would support a change to
the development/release cycle where the release code was branched,
critical patches applied to the branch, and point releases from that
branch if someone were to be responsible and step up to manage that process.

Rather than replacing the existing system, why not try to be that person
he is looking for to manage that process which I think would address
many of the issues presented here.  By branching the release line and
making critical patches into a point release, the user gets a more
stable product, CVS users get a known stable branch, and developers can
continue to provide patches for the main line code and continue
expanding the product at the same time.

Kevin