[mythtv] Can VBI data be used for commercial detection?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Mar 28 01:00:32 UTC 2005

> I recall hearing many years ago that the VBI data sent by many
> channels will change somehow when commercials are being broadcast. I
> think it had something to do with timecode being present in the
> programs, but not the commercials.

I have CC/teletext data on my list of things to use in Commercial
Detection, but I haven't got around to coding anything on it yet.

My master backend currently has three AVerMedia M179 cards and the
driver I'm using is kinda old so there's no chance of having CC
data there.  Once CC/Teletext data is working with the DVB drivers
(I have a pair of air2pc cards in use as well) then I'll take a look
at using CC data from them to start adding support in the
Commercial Detection code.

--

Chris