[mythtv] Question for Mac OS X Devs

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Wed Mar 30 07:51:21 UTC 2005

	Hi Geoff. I know little about qmake
(actually, I didn't even know that there was a -project mode),
but I have now experimented a little.

> 3)  qmake -project

	I think this is your problem. According to the doco:

% qmake -help
Usage: qmake [mode] [options] [files]

    QMake has two modes, one mode for generating project files based on
some heuristics, and the other for generating makefiles. Normally you
shouldn't need to specify a mode, as makefile generation is the default
mode for qmake, but you may use this to test qmake on an existing
project

Mode:
         -project       Put qmake into project file generation mode
                        In this mode qmake interprets files as files to
                        be built,
                        defaults to *.c; *.ui; *.y; *.l; *.ts; *.h;
*.hpp; *.hh; *.H; *.hxx; *.cpp; *.cc; *.cxx; *.C

	So, qmake -project locates all source files,
and not the ones conditionally specified in each
directory's .pro files.

1) Note that qmake -project generates a file of
the name directory-name.pro, so if you have your
CVS source checked out in a directory called mythtv,
the checked out mythtv.pro will be overwritten.

2) Opening the .xcode file generated by gmake 3.3.2
caused XCode to spin its little rainbow wheel forever.
I think it was trying to index the 873 source files.

	If you are able to get a valid Xcode project,
you would need to manually remove all the source
that is not currently used on Mac OS X.
Easier to generate a new project, and look in the
.pro files to see what source files are actually used?

	Maintaining this project would be a manual task,
and any changes to the make (.pro) environment would
need to be monitored and duplicated. Another may to do
it might be to either modify qmake, or to write a parser
and 'make | parser', to have a way of automagically
generating the the source file list and compile flags
for a project.

	Anyway, as nice as it would be to be able to
use XCode for debugging, setting it up is a lot of
hard work that most of the Mac developers probably
don't have time to spare. I know I don't!

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|"Beware - I am a carrier
Telstra BI&D, Sydney, Australia      |          of surrealism"