[mythtv] Current state of MythTv using Via XvMC VLD Hardware MPEG decoding

Andrew Wilson migmog at gmail.com
Sun May 1 19:22:02 UTC 2005

I'm seeing a lot of problems on audio using XVMC. I'm using 0.18, and
the description below applies to that. CVS of about a week ago (last
time I tried it) was unusable as the audio was awful.

When I turn off XVMC VLD hardware decoder, the M10k can't keep up.
However, I found that if I turn off deinterlacing then it can keep up
OK.. ~12% idle. Nearly all audio problems go away with this setup, and
I'm tempted just to leave it at this setting as it's perfectly
watchable.

I'd much rather use xvmc though, mainly because I can slow the M10k
down to 600MHz and reduce the temperatures and fan speeds to an
acceptable level. It's also just wrong not to use the hardware
decoding when I've paid for it :-)

The audio problem I'm hearing is hard to describe. It sounds like
during each small chunk of audio, perhaps 250 millisecs, some
fragments are being repeated 2 or 3 times and others omitted.

Does this square with what other folks are seeing?

Is there anything I can usefully do to help in debugging this stuff?
I'd be more that glad to help.