[mythtv] Current state of MythTv using Via XvMC VLD Hardware MPEG decoding

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Mon May 2 14:53:59 UTC 2005

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
>>9. My MythTv config line is:
>>	./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-xvmc-vld --cpu=i686\
>>	--enable-dvb-eit --enable-dvb\
>>	--dvb-path=/data/src/MythTv/include; qmake mythtv.pro
>>	Note: "--cpu=i686" is needed to get MMX working.
>

> This seems to be the opposite of what you want. The i686 CPU is a
> a pre-MMX cpu and is not compatible with the c3. The c3 and c3-2
> CPU's both do have MMX. If you want a single binary for both the
> c3 and c3-2, you probably want to use --arch=pentium-mmx
>
> PS If this is with the 0.18 release and not CVS, then you should use
> c3 or c3-2 and add --enable-mmx, since these processors had not yet
> been added to the mmx CPU's list when 0.18 went out.
>
> -- Daniel

Actually, using --cpu=i686 does enable MMX, at least in
MythTv CVS 2005-04-23.

This seemed the most appropriate for my use to cover the CPU's
on all of my client systems including the Via M10K.
I had issues with setting --arch=pentium-mmx that does cause
illegal instruction crashes with the Via M10K.

I do think there are still issues and a lack of information
on what settings should be used for configure ...

Terry