[mythtv] Re: max episodes (mis?) behaviour and solution

Tony Lill ajlill at ajlc.waterloo.on.ca
Tue May 3 00:53:22 UTC 2005

    David> It's been my intention to make this change for quite some time.  I
    David> just haven't needed it myself so I haven't pushed the issue.

    >> I think the only downside is that if you delete a schedule and create a
    >> new one for the same show title, the ones recorded on the old schedule are

    David> I think the biggest downside is potential user confusion.  "Why does
    David> Myth say too many episodes have been recorded when I don't see any
    David> recorded with that title."  Of course, anyone setting up search rules
    David> with maxpepisodes should know what they're doing.

Yes, you wouldn't get the confusing behaviour unless you set up a search
rule with max episodes, and then IMHO,  having maxepisodes "ignored" is
more confusing, or at least more annoying ;-)

    >> lost. You could fix that by setting the recordid to -1 in recorded when
    >> the schedule is deleted, then when you create a recording schedule,
    >> adopt any orphans where the title matches and the recordid ==
    >> -1. Ideally, this should be user controlled, but if not, it just sort-of
    >> preserves the existing behaviour

    David> I don't see any need for this.

This is to avoid user confusion. Here's the scenario I wanted to
avoid.. You set a schedule for "The Simpsons" and record a bunch of
episodes. You delete the schedule, then later change your mind and
recreate it.

These schedules have different schedule id, so with my change to the
scheduler, any episodes recorded with the old one wouldn't get counted,
and the user wonders why theres 10 episodes of "The Simpsons" when he
set maxepisodes to 5.

I suppose there's still a possibility of confusion when a keyword seach
intersects with a normal schedule...

If the powers that be don't think this extra bit is worth doing, I'll
submit my little patch to the scheduler. I've been running it about a
week without a problem.
--
Tony Lill,                         Tony.Lill at AJLC.Waterloo.ON.CA
President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571