[mythtv] ebuilds for all myth components in cvs

Nick Rosier nick.rosier at gmail.com
Tue May 3 14:33:40 UTC 2005

On 5/3/05, Jay Sprenkle <jsprenkle at gmail.com> wrote:
> > my ebuilds build everything from CVS. the offical ebuilds from gentoo do not
> > use cvs. you ask "is this the case with your new ebuilds?"
>
> The cvs version is by nature unstable code that's likely to have a lot of bugs
> since it's a snapshot of a work in progress. What's the point of
> making an ebuild,
> which is a way to mass distribute a release, when the release isn't ready yet?

Some people like to use the bleeding-edge versions (if it ain't
broken, try harder). As the MythTV developers are using CVS on their
own boxes, I've noticed that they are more stable then most other
development projects.

> > is what the case? that you have to use 0.17 mythweb with 0.18 mythtv? if that
> > is what you are asking, then the answer is no. i'm using the mythweb produced
> > by my ebuild with the mythtv produced my my ebuild.
>
> The gentoo ebuilds don't play together. This has been a problem
> with every automated distribution system I've ever tried (portage, cpan, etc).
> Very sloppy.

Portage = ebuilds. For CPAN you can use gcpan.pl. It's just a nice way
to be able to use CVS and still be able to unmerge them and keep a
"clean" system.

> > if you are asking about the gentoo released ebuilds then i cannot help you as
> > i don't use them (or mythtv releases for that matter). i only use cvs
>
> I was under the assumption "ebuilds" were part of gentoo.
> Is there an "ebuild" that's not part of gentoo?

You can configure Gentoo to use local ebuilds as well (e.g.
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage) where you can keep your own
ebuilds.

> Why are you preparing ebuilds if you don't even use them?
> Shouldn't you be using them so they'll get at least some minimal testing?

He doesn't use the Gentoo provided (official) ebuilds which are based
on the official 0.18 release. He created and uses his own CVS-ebuilds.

N.