[mythtv] ebuilds for all myth components in cvs

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Wed May 4 13:37:59 UTC 2005

>The gentoo ebuilds don't play together. This has been a problem
>with every automated distribution system I've ever tried (portage, cpan, etc).
>Very sloppy.

In general I find they work very well.  The problem you are experiencing
sounds like you are installing different version of mythweb and mythbackend.

The advantage of ebuilds is that they track all the cruft that is
installed.  In my case I build a few of the myth modules from source
because I have some private patches in my tree, but the rest I install
via my own cvs ebuilds.  This means that when I upgrade from a 0.17 ish
cvs to a 0.18ish cvs then all the old libs are removed and new ones
built.  Very useful in preventing problems due to old libs lying around

There are a few other projects that I like to patch, for example I like
to patch my Asterisk phone system with some UK specific fixes.  I just
create a slightly modified version of the ebuild which applies my patch
and now I have basically the advantages of RPM packaging with the
flexibility of source download and install.  Takes me just a few mins to
upgrade to the latest version of Asterisk with all my patches applied.

>I was under the assumption "ebuilds" were part of gentoo.
>Is there an "ebuild" that's not part of gentoo?

The system which parses ebuilds is part of gentoo.  However, there is no
enforcement engine which stops you writing a text file with .ebuild as
it's name no.

Actually I just realised what I am writing.... If you don't even know
what an ebuild is then I think I'm wasting my time.  Go read the very
explicit docs at http://www.gentoo.org.  The docs and forums there are
extremely good and have the answers to a huge number of linux issues
that people face in all distros

Byee

Ed W