[mythtv] x86_64 support, Semprons, and HD playback

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed May 11 16:15:15 UTC 2005

So I've heard that lately there was some work to make x86_64 up to speed
(mmx stuff?).  I'm trying to get a system that will play back HD
recorded content and my 2ghz P4 400mhz FSB system isn't cutting it.  I
have an Athlon64 board coming up available and I'm trying to decide if I
should put a Sempron or an Athlon64, as well as whether or not to go to
x86_64 OS or not.  Has there been much discussion of the use of Sempron
CPUs for MythTV frontend/backend units?

BTW just as a bit of feed back, I tried some packages built from CVS
last night, and I can confirm that A) audio stream no longer cuts out
when changing channels in live TV when sourcing via firewire (to a
Motorola 6200).  Audio continues when changing channels.  Also a fix
seemed to go in that enables the 'surfing' to work while watching live
TV (pulling up the mini guide bar and flipping through the channels to
see what is playing elsewhere)

My current system is VERY close to being able to playback HD content.  I
just get some audio popping/jittering every 10 seconds or so, more if
any OSD stuff comes up (like jumping ahead or volume stuff).  I'm
curious if there is more work being done in CVS to lower the system reqs
for playing back HD recorded content.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: