[mythtv] PVR350, mythmusic, and mpeg2 encoding audio for playback

John Kondis jkondis at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 21:06:16 UTC 2005

I had the same problem.  Sadly, I have only 2 pci
slots, now they're both filled (350 + sound card) and
I can't put a USB2.0 card in.  Go for it!  Write that
tool/sound driver!

Might be a bit cpu-intensive, and I have to wonder if
the 350's decoder will be expecting mpeg video at the
same time (dummy video stream?), thus complicating how
mythmusic handles its own graphics.  How does the
decoder work?  Can you keep it in regular
"framebuffer" mode while you send it video that is not
displayed?  Seems similar to pegging the alpha to 255
so that mythmusic can do its graphics stuff normally.

Then you'll have to figure out how to adjust volume
through such an encoder.  Currently myth can't control
volume on the mpeg2 streams sent to the 350's decoder,
AFAIK, but a live encoder shouldn't have any problem
changing the volume of the stream.