[mythtv] transcoding simply to cut commercials?

Harvard Pan harvardpan at gmail.com
Mon May 16 23:07:15 UTC 2005

I like keeping my stuff in the MPEG2 format that my PVR-350's spit
out. The main reason for this is quality and the ease of exporting to
a DVD later for me. Transcoding does save space, but at the same time,
it converts it to whatever your transcode setting is (mpeg4, etc).
What I'd like to do is to be able to transcode from MPEG2 => MPEG2
without commercials, similar to how nuvexport does it, but integrated
with mythfrontend. This will allow me to save approximately 30% of my
space without converting to a different format.

This is a feature that I'd like to code up, but I figure that there
must be a reason for this to not exist today. I was wondering what
were some of the pitfalls of this, and what people's thoughts were on
this. If it seems like something useful to people, I'll probably start
working on it. =P

--Harvard