[mythtv] modeline 240p+BOB

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Mon May 23 00:06:09 UTC 2005

John P Poet wrote:
> What happens when BOB is used with 480p for 480i material?  Is each
> field scaled from 240 to 480, and then "bobbed" out to the TV?  I
> assumed that any scaling would happen after the video was
> deinterlaced.

That's right.  It's deinterlaced first, then each field is scaled
(doubled) to 480.  They *are* offset vertically from one another, so
positionally it looks right.  You'd get a slightly sharper static
picture with kerneldeint, but motion is so much smoother with bob it's
my first choice.  The only advantage to using a true 480i mode would be
if your set's deinterlacer does a nice job (which the Sonys do) but I
never got it working right with the nVidia drivers at the time.

> My current TV automatically switches into a "vertical squeeze" mode
> when it receives anything higher than 480p.  This means I would end up
> with black bars on all four sides, if I watched 480i material at 540p.

Ahh, yeah, I could see that being quite frustrating.

-Doug