[mythtv] MythWifi Remote Control plugin

Femi Veys femiveys at hotmail.com
Fri May 27 20:50:33 UTC 2005

>Great! This was something I was trying to design myself...
>
>How flexible is your current design? A number of things on my own list of
>requirements:
>
>- Display lists on the remote control device (such as playlists,
>recordings, movies etc)
The plugin is intended to be used as a normal remote control as we know them
from TV remotes. Right now very little feedback is given to the PDA. But the
plugin is capable of sending arbitrary data with very few enhancements. The
reason I don't send that much feeback is the slowness of the browser on the
PDA, but if we used a java implementation for the interface, much more
should be possible. Right now, the feedback is given in a seperate (small)
frame in the browser.
I thought MythWeb was capable of doing listings as you say, so I didn't
implement it. But the plugin is certainly capable of sending much more.

>- Control multiple frontends (eg play recording X to livingroom-TV, play
>MP3 Y to stereo in study), I think you have this already?
Yes, multiple frontends are supported.

>- Plugins for various devicetypes (I'm currently controlling MythTV via my
>(Sony) Mobile Phone using a small tool called bluemote, but this is
>*really* bolted on to the side of Myth).
No, right now it only works for TCP/IP socket devices. But indeed, a small
layer could do some multiplexing.

>- Context-sensitive menus (eg when pressing play in the movies menu, my
>remote should change to match the controls for mplayer).
Not implemented, because of the slowness of the browser, but indeed, the
architecture of the plugin makes this possible because it has full access to
MythContext.

>I haven't done any serious work on any of this yet, but perhaps MythWiFi
>is a good starting point for me...
Yes, I think that some work could be based on my plugin.

I think the most important improvement would be an interface that is fast
enough to render all kinds of information that is being sent back from the
frontend. I think a Java implementation could do the work.

regards,

Femi