[mythtv] The scoop on programid and when it's not present

Oscar Carlsson webmaster at trekotor.se
Mon May 30 09:30:21 UTC 2005

Brad Templeton wrote, On 2005-05-28 19:46:
> I recall some talk a while ago of synthetic programids, and I see
> code in mythfilldatabase that does generate them when they are
> missing.
>
> What is the situation for people overseas who are not using
> datadirect?  It's been reported to me that they don't have programids.
>
> Is there a plan long term to assure all listing entries have a programid,
> generating one synthetically (from hash of title/subtitle/description)
> if need be?  It sure would be handy.
>
> Would it cause damage if I were to generate synthetic programids when
> they are missing with a regularly run
>     update program set programid = [synthetic] where programid = ''
>                         (possibly check for null as well)
>
> or similar?

Uhm, why'd you want to generate synthetic programids based on
title/subtitle/description? Myth already has dup-detection based on
that. The idea with programids is that they're based on episode/season
and _doesn't_ depend on title/subtitle/description. If we don't get info
about episode/season, there's no way to generate a sane programid.

/Oscar