[mythtv] FF/REW speeds

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Nov 3 15:25:31 EST 2005

Joesph, there is a solution for this but this is not an update
to the status of bug #571. A gentle reminder to everyone to post
questions and discussion to the mailing lists. Please refrain
from using the bug database as a chat room. Thanx.

MythTV wrote:
> #571: Add ability to change skip times through OSD tree menu
> -------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
>  Reporter:  mythtv at hburch.com  |        Owner:  gigem
>      Type:  patch              |       Status:  new
> Component:  mythtv             |      Version:  head
>  Severity:  low                |   Resolution:
> -------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
> Comment (by jcaputo1 (at) comcast.net):
>
>  On a related note, I've been mulling over the following enhancement:  the
>  ability to select which FF/REW speeds get cycled through when using
>  stickykeys.  Right now, the default is: 3x:5x:10x:20x:30x.  Personally, I
>  find that I only tend to use one of either 3x/5x/10x, and then I want to
>  jump right to 20x or 30x.  I was thinking of making it a configurable
>  setup option, but after seeing this discussion I think an OSD menu option
>  would be more appropriate.  I'd want the current setting to be saved to
>  the database.
>
>  If anybody's interested, I could look into coding the internal support for
>  such a feature, and kick it over for someone to do the OSD menu.

IMHO the default speeds bite. They are way, way too close together.
A speed change needs to be 200% to 400% to do any good.

There are settings which are checked to determined the speeds.
The defaults are used if the settings are not set. There are no
options to set these from the setup pages. You're welcome to
create an interface for this if you'd like. Here are my settings:

mysql> select * from settings where value like 'FFRewSpeed%';
+-------------+------+----------+
| value       | data | hostname |
+-------------+------+----------+
| FFRewSpeed0 | 3    | NULL     |
| FFRewSpeed1 | 20   | NULL     |
| FFRewSpeed2 | 60   | NULL     |
| FFRewSpeed3 | 180  | NULL     |
| FFRewSpeed4 | 360  | NULL     |
| FFRewSpeed5 | 720  | NULL     |
| FFRewSpeed6 | 1800 | NULL     |
| FFRewSpeed7 | 3600 | NULL     |

With three key presses, I'm up to an hour per minute. There are
eight slots and I'm not going to push the button eight times but
if I did it would move at a rate of hour per second.

--  bjm