[mythtv] Can't use MythTV after svn Help

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Sat Nov 5 12:51:48 EST 2005

On Saturday 05 November 2005 12:40 pm, Tom Lichti wrote:
> You updated at exactly the wrong time, unfortunately! The head
> developer, Isaac Richards, comitted some major changes to Live TV
> yesterday which meant he actually completely disabled the function. I
> know there were a bunch more commits last night/today, and it looks like
> LiveTV is somewhat working again, but I'm going to waita few days to see
> what comes out of it.

Oh, it's not even close yet:
- non-hardware encoder/dvb style capture cards won't work
- Can't seek in live-tv over program boundaries.
- the osd (program info + current position) is all wrong.
- Autoexpiring of live-tv programs while still watching the chain can badly
break things - need some protection against deleting something that's being
watched.
- I'm not sure how to present things to the user on the watching recordings
screen.  If someone starts channel surfing, there's going to be lots of tiny
little recordings cluttering up that screen.

And that's just off the top of my head. =)  The 'Watch Live TV' button's still
disabled completely.

> As for your recordings being gone, between your 18.1 version and current
> SVN they changed the file naming schema to be a bit more informative.
> However it's not backwards compatible in that it won't read the old
> filenames (it can still read the files themselves, however). I believe
> there is a utility in the mythtv/contrib directory that will rename the
> files to be correct for the new version but I don't recall what it is.
> You may have to do some searching int he mailing list archives to find it.

This isn't really true..  The filename of the recordings was changed to be in
the database, instead of generated all the time from the channel id +
start/stop times.  There's an issue with the database update where it
sometimes won't update things properly - haven't had time to figure out
what's causing it yet.

Isaac