[mythtv] development practices (regarding current live tv situation)

andrew burke aburke at bitflood.org
Wed Nov 9 20:48:45 EST 2005

> And I would argue that it is easier for you to "svn update -r 7738" (and
> using a LiveTV working build) than it is for everyone else to fork another
> branch. If you don't like a rapidly developing source tree, use stable.

People wouldn't have to fork, only Isaac would have had to work in his own
branch for doing that stuff.  Once it was done, he could merge it back
into the main trunk and everyone else could continue to work without
jumping through hoops.

> Issac, when you say not very long? Any thoughts as to how long? A couple
> of days? week? more? ;)

I've read ahead to Isaac's response of a week.  A breakage for a day might
not have necessitated a branch, but a week of brokenness seems like it
might have been a good thing to compartmentalize.

Pulling a branch is pretty easy:

svn copy svn+ssh://.../trunk svn+ssh://.../livetvbroken

and then the merge would have been:

svn merge svn+ssh://.../livetvbroken svn+ssh://.../trunk

Doesn't seem all that difficult to me.

andy