[mythtv] SVN Branching

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 10:50:02 EST 2005

On Thursday 17 Nov 2005 15:16, Ivor Hewitt wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > I don't know about Isaac, but if it were my project and I saw this many
> > people complaining about my not branching, I would purposefully delay
> > the completion of the LiveTV overhaul.  Maybe I'm just mean, but...
>
> Yeah you're just mean. :)
>
> I think one of the problems is that its just too easy to grab source
> from svn and build it... people just get into the habit and forget the
> whole point is that they are accessing development source code.

Actually most people know they are accessing the unstable source. If there is
an issue it would be the timing between releases. I'm not sure anyone really
knew how much was going to be improved and added from 0.18 nor how long it
would be until 0.19 would be released. Certainly the improvement to the DVB
code alone warrents more than a minor version number change.

For me staying at 0.18 wasn't an option, several needed features like DVB
subtitles were added to SVN. Once 0.19.2 is out I will probably stop
upgrading from SVN for a while. However if 0.20 takes as long as 0.19 and
includes as many improvements then I will undoubtedly start using SVN again.

IMHO future versions could do with an arbitrary completion deadline. Once that
deadline is reached it is released whether or not X feature was implemented.
That way fewer users will feel the need to use SVN.
--
Stuart Morgan