[mythtv] New MPEG2 commercial-cut code ready for testing

Geoffrey Hausheer mythtv0368 at phracturedblue.com
Thu Nov 17 12:11:51 EST 2005

On 11/16/05, Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:
> Anyhow, what this means is that while I am still interested in issues
> that crop up, I won't be doing any more debugging until I've resolved
> these new problems.  It also may be a couple of days before I've got a
> new version to be tested.
Well, nothing so dramatic in the end:
http://www.pblue.org/myth/mpeg2fix-0.12.tgz

This only fixes the problems I mentioned in my previous mail, along
with Adam's problem.  There should be no performance impact to this
version.

Cory's hang is probably not fixed here.  Bryan's corruption may or may
not be fixed (I haven't been able to duplicate his results with this
version so far.  Bryan, if you can still generate the corruption, send
me the command you are using on the file you sent me).  Cory's
'roughness' is not fixed.

Anyone else who has experienced video corruption issues, this version
may help (and may not)

Using '-d 2' produces several files around cutpoints:
cnv#.yuv : the original frame to reencode
cnv#.yuv.enc: the mpeg2-encoded frame (after re-encoding)
cnv#.yuv.enc.yuv: a decoded version of the above.

If you see any discrepency between cnv#.yuv and cnv#.yuv.enc.yuv then
the encoding got borked.  If cnv#.yuv doesn't look ok, the decoding
got borked.  If bth look ok, but playing the mpeg2 is hosed,
well...we'd need to do more debugging.

remember, use imagemagik to display frames:
display -size widthxheight cnv#.yuv

also, using -c format is : -c "start - end"
the quotes, spaces and hyphen are all needed.

If you want some help debugging, I'll hang around #mythtv (nick:
PhracturedBlue) when I can.

Thanks for your patience.
.Geoff