[mythtv] Licensing issues

Johnathon Meichtry johnathon-dev at meichtry.org
Thu Nov 17 19:30:31 EST 2005

I say good luck and I hope you can turn it into a real money making venture.
The more commercial organisations selling and shrinkwrapping MythTV the
better.  In terms of evolution and development it is only early days but if
major companies like Hauppauge etc. can ship media/video players and not
provide updates thereafter then I can't see why you couldn't do the same
with MythTV - as long as it works as advertised and the consumer is getting
value for money what does it matter.

In terms of LGPL and GPL licensing there is no reason why you cannot make
money from distributing a product containg LGPL and GPL.  My case in point
are the million of media players and STB's being shipped by retailers and
manufactuers.  For example Yahoo Broadband TV in  Japan, their STB runs Open
Source embedded linux with all the various trappings and utilities/apps with
their HTML UI.  The irony is that if you call them up and ask them for a
copy of the source (which is a requirement under GPL) they will tell you to
take a walk and say it's developed in-house and confidential.

Good luck,

Johnathon