[mythtv] Licensing issues

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 18 10:32:47 EST 2005

On Thursday 17 November 2005 23:42, Paul Huff wrote:
> Actually, you sold it for $100M, but thats besides the point, lol. My
> plan
> is to get this as intuitive and basic as possible (as inspired by my
> father-in-law who's frustrated with his current expensive and
> complicated
> setup) so that anyone, techie or not, can use it without ever needing
> manual or being coached. I live in a rather wealthy area where people
> drop
> thousands of dollars on difficult and complicated "high-tech" high
> confusion
> setups. If I can give them something easy, consolidated, intuitive as
> well
> as "high-tech" and new...they'd eat it up. And I'd have fun in the
> meantime.
> I have no plans on going big with this...just some joe schmo setting
> up
> systems in his local metropolitan area. $900-1500 for the parts and
> whatever
> I wanna charge for the setup and markup equals a nice weekend profit.
> So ya
> I guess I can use the system with the software (modified as it may be)
> and
> if someone wants the source they're more than welcome to have it. No
> one who
> knows what to do with it would be paying me for this anyway, lol.

I'm in a similar situation -- I don't have the time or resources to
undertake a full-fledged business customizing, extending, installing &
supporting Myth, but I do live in a relatively affluent area where
there could be a market for an "easy, consolidate [and] intuitive"
Myth-type product... basically, I'd like to make some side-money from
my expertise in this area, but I can't afford to strike out on my own
full-time.  So, I'm looking into the possibility of becoming a dealer
for Pluto Home (www.plutohome.com).  They've integrated Myth with some
other stuff (home automation & security, mostly) and developed it into
a product.  It's completely open source, but they license it
commercially as an integrated platform.  As a dealer you can sell their
preconfigured systems, or build your own from off-the-shelf components.

-JAC